Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is also treatable, at Artistry in Dentistry in Gilbert AZ .
Gum disease is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association. Due to this, our team has put together a list of the 5 most critical things to know about periodontal disease.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage, such as tooth loss.
- Daily brushing and flossing, and regular dental exams are the best way to prevent gum disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
If you keep these in mind, you might realize periodontal disease is more common and harmful than you initially thought. The risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition. If any of these apply to you, it might be time to visit your dentist for a check-up.
Gum disease may be one of the best examples of prevention being the best medicine. With regular brushing and flossing, and checkups at Artistry in Dentistry in Gilbert AZ , you can prevent gum disease. People from Gilbert, Superior, Gold Canyon, Mesa, and Apache Junction come to our practice for general and restorative dentistry. Contact us to schedule an appointment today!