“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many aspects of modern Gilbert, AZ life, particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some important guidelines are highlighted here.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA-approved toothpaste and toothbrush. Some of our patients like to set a timer on their phone or play a song that is at least 2 minutes long.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard when participating in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged. Talk to Dr. Sullivan about custom sports mouth protection.
4. Don’t smoke. (As if you needed yet another reason not to!) Smoking not only increases your risk of oral cancer, it stains your teeth and doesn’t do your breath any favors.
5. Avoid piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk of chipped teeth, infection and nerve damage. It’s a dicey fashion trend that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Avoid snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
Snacking throughout the day is generally a bad idea for many reasons, but simple carbohydrates are especially problematic. Namely, they are very efficient at creating plaque which leads to decay.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
Helping my dental patients establish good habits is important to me, and so is helping them achieve the smile they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening and complete smile makeovers.
Artistry in Dentistry has been serving the Phoenix area since 1998. If you are seeking an excellent dentist, we invite you to contact us so we can make an appointment for you.