This Thanksgiving holiday, Dr. Sheldon Sullivan and our team in Gilbert, Arizona, want to share some tooth-friendly choices for you and your loved ones. While most people are aware of heart-healthy food choices, tooth-friendly food choices are not as well known, which is a shame, because both are vital to good health. Following are six tooth-friendly choices to include on your family’s table this Thanksgiving:
- Chewing cheddar cheese lowers acid levels in the mouth and stimulates saliva production, both of which promote good oral health. Cheese also has calcium and protein which aids tooth enamel.
- Crunchy foods like apples, raw carrots, and celery can help clean plaque off of your pearly whites. They also contain fiber, which stimulates both the gums and saliva production which help wash away plaque.
- If you want to build tooth enamel, in addition to cheese, eat plenty of leafy greens such as spinach and kale, and almonds, which contain calcium. And meat, eggs, and fish supply the body with phosphorous, which also helps tooth enamel.
- If you have eaten and can’t brush your teeth, chewing sugarless gum helps remove bacteria in the mouth, which prevents plaque from building up on your teeth.
- Drinking milk after consuming sugary foods can help neutralize the acid created by bacteria which forms into plaque.
- Polyphenols, which are compounds found in both black and green teas, slow down bacterial growth that can cause cavities and gum disease. Drinking these teas are also good for fighting bad breath.
You and your loved ones can enjoy the Thanksgiving festivities while protecting those healthy smiles. If you need to schedule a visit with our team, please call us in Gilbert, Arizona, at 480-507-1993 today. Dr. Sheldon Sullivan and the rest of our team at Artistry in Dentistry wish you and yours a healthy, happy, tooth-friendly holiday!