Did you know that cavities are contagious? It’s true! Cavities are an infection of bacteria in the mouth that live and thrive on what you eat and drink. This is especially true with foods and drinks containing lots of sugar, such as sticky, chewy sweets, many juices, and sodas just to name a few. These bacteria can be passed not only from one tooth to another but also from person to person. This can happen by sharing eating utensils or straws, drinking after one another, sharing toothbrushes, even kissing on the mouth. This is just one of many great reasons to keep your mouth healthy and cavity-free. Bacteria from an unhealthy mouth may be unintentionally passed to a family member.
What can you do? Prevention…
Fluoride is nature’s most effective cavity-fighter and cavity-preventor. Fluoride may also minimize the germs that cause cavities. It has been proven that by having professional fluoride treatments from your dentist, cavities are reduced significantly and even prevented all together.
Here are some steps you can take to prevent decay:
- Visit your dental office for regular hygiene treatment and dental check-ups.
- Have cavities and gum problems treated immediately.
- Be aware of sharing anything that has been in someone else’s mouth.
- Drink plenty of fluoridated water.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with toothpaste that contains fluoride
- Floss once a day.
- Limit sweets, and choose healthy snacks, such as fruits.
Click here for more information or to request an appointment in our office.